What is a Broadcast?
It’s a short audio recording of your voice to share updates, news, or information. It’s a mini-podcast that you share on WealthVoice which reaches your audience on Alexa, with a notification. You can audiogram Broadcasts for sharing on social, like these:
In this week's update, Adam issues a challenge for everyone in the financial advisory space (listen below 👇).— Asset-Map (@AssetMapLLC) June 6, 2022
And be sure to click-launch the Asset-Map skill with the following link to get all of our important updates: https://t.co/QxzG3EVxdI pic.twitter.com/ej7zaRstIg
Scroll down below the video for microphone tips and links and Broadcast FAQ.
1. Equipment and Recording Environment
Microphone: If you don’t have a microphone yet, you can record using your smartphone (Voice Memos in iPhone or the equivalent in Android – tips here) or by plugging in a wired headset with a microphone into your computer or phone.
We recommend that you purchase a good-quality microphone and record in a quiet setting.
See the 3 best mic options in action: Watch Emily’s 7-minute video showing exactly what you need to know about your phone, Blue Yeti, and Shure SM7B, and how to set them up.
Microphone Option A: Blue Yeti USB Microphone
At $99, it’s a great value. The most popular USB mic in the world. Full setup list includes:
- Blue Yeti USB Mic (comes on a stand, you can remove from stand and attach to boom arm)
- Boom arm/desk clamp to reduce vibrations and make for a clearer sound
- Pop filter reduces the “p” air sound that happens naturally
- Foam windscreen applied to the head of the mic makes for clearer audio
Microphone Option B: Shure SM7B (XLR Microphone)
At $399, it’s the gold standard used in top podcast studios around the world. Best for experienced podcasters. Requires the following equipment:
- Shure SM7B
- Desk clamp AKA boom arm
- Scarlett Focusrite
- Male to female XLR cords (you need 2 of these)
Where to record
Try to choose a room with more furniture and fabrics or textures such as couches, carpeting, or curtains instead of bare walls and glass because those make for an echoey recording. A furnished basement or closet work well.
But you can record in your office or at your desk and it will still sound fine. Done is better than perfect.
2. FAQ: Your Broadcasts
Q: How often should I Broadcast?
A: You will want to send a Broadcast whenever you have information to communicate. This could be daily, weekly, monthly, or at any interval you like. Some advisors send Broadcasts whenever they have an update that they would otherwise only send via email or a publish as a blog post. You can have a regular cadence or just publish them as needed. This is not a commitment to a set podcast schedule, unless you want it to be.
Q: How long should my Broadcast be?
A: Aim for 125-200 words, about 1 to 3 minutes. It’s fine if you go longer because there is no time limit. Most people listen to Alexa at home in the kitchen, living room, or bedroom while doing other tasks. This means they may be in that room for a couple minutes at a time. Remember that people can also access your Broadcast on their smartphone in the Alexa app, or in the car through their Echo Auto.
Tip: You will have the option in Broadcasts to paste your text and have Alexa’s voice read the update if you’re unable to record. Use your own voice when possible though.
Q: What should my Broadcast say?
A: Topic ideas:
- Read your latest blog post aloud
- Promote an upcoming webinar and share a URL to register
- Level-up: create a tracking URL or landing page and only use this URL on WealthVoice. Example: you could add a webinar registration widget to your voice hub landing page like this: https://www.plancorp.com/alexa
- Answer your top 5 client or customer FAQ (1 FAQ per Broadcast = a series of 5)
- Announce company news or events such as a round of funding or new hires
- Tell a true client story with a lesson (anonymously)
- Comment on market events or topics such as inflation, taxes, or stock trends
- Provide optimism about long term investing and your philosophy
- Share motivational quotes or inspirational content about wealth and financial freedom
Scripts are optional. Wing it if you can, otherwise script it.
Sample script (this is 96 words = about 28 seconds read aloud):
Hi, this is Jon Porter, CEO of Three Bell Capital.
An expected pivot by central banks has materialized. Now what? Financial conditions in key developed economies have become more accommodative as a result, even though the lift to the broader economy has yet to kick in. We see policy easing helping sustain the economic expansion, and the likelihood of a growth pickup over the next six to twelve months.
We are confident in staying the course with your portfolio based on our long term strategy.
Thank you for choosing Three Bell Capital. I appreciate your business.
Now you try it. Copy the below text into an empty document then fill in the bracketed sections with your information:
Hi, this is [your name], [your title] of [your company name].
[SUMMARIZE YOUR MARKET PERSPECTIVE, ADVICE, A TIP, AN INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE, OR IMPORTANT MESSAGE/UPDATE IN ABOUT 75-200 WORDS OR 1-3 SHORT PARAGRAPHS. Some advisors will simply share their latest blog post, read aloud, and maybe add a bit of commentary before or after. This is a good place to start if you’re not sure what to say.]
Thank you for choosing [your company name]. I appreciate your business.
3. How to record and save your audio file
If you’re using an Android or iOS Voice Memo, follow these instructions.
If you’re using a mic: Simply plug your microphone into your computer and record in your audio program:
- For Mac users, we recommend GarageBand for Mac (free)
- For PC users, we recommend Voice Recorder for Windows 10 (here is a guide), or if you want to do any editing, the free program Audacity for Windows is popular among podcasters.
Don’t have a microphone yet? Use your phone: done is better than perfect!
On your computer: Save the mp3 with a filename such as: wealthvoice-update-04.25.2020.mp3 and upload it in Broadcasts. Choose an episode title (a few words describing the topic, adding the date is optional). Your past Broadcasts will remain available to you on the Sent page (https://app.wealthvoice.ai/skill/broadcasts/sent). However, listeners will only be able to hear your most recent Broadcast (“Play the latest update.”)